Sunday Fun Day

I’m comfortably tucked into this massive leather couch in our living room, cradling my morning café au lait (even though, yes, it’s almost 3pm) and relaxing like I’m supposed to on a lazy Sunday afternoon. And oh, life is good.

P. and I took G-Dog to a local desert trail this morning to enjoy this absolutely gorgeous, almost spring-like weather (65° F, sunny, cloudless sky, cool breezes). We didn’t want to tire him out too much — we’re still not quite sure what his limits are, but we want to be conservative partly for health reasons but, just as important, because we’re really not too keen on having to carry an exhausted 60-lb dog for half a mile — so we opted to stick to a short, 45-minute hike.

The dirt trail — just a few miles outside of town, but soon to be just a couple of miles from where we will officially live in a few days — is pretty wide and winding, through some scrubby desert landscapes with gentle elevation rises. We did go off-trail after about half an hour so that we could do a little bit of scree-scrambling and to take advantage of some breathtaking views from a generously wide granite ridge, but mostly it was just a peaceful, leisurely hike. G-Dog met his first horse — I’m sure to him it looked like a massive dog — and had a chance to sniff-meet other pups on the trail with their owners. (Note to self: I really have to remember to always ask another dog owner if my pup can sniff/meet their dog, instead of just assuming that all dogs welcome those greetings. Two of mine aren’t very good at meeting other dogs while on walks, so I should definitely know better.)

We brought along plenty of cold water and G-Dog’s bowl, which I ended up holding with my free hand during most of the hike because I kept overestimating how much water he wanted to drink and I didn’t want to just throw away the extra. He clearly enjoyed himself, which melts my heart, but now he’s collapsed on the cool wood laminate floor between the kitchen and dining area, sleeping and most likely dreaming about chasing lizards and rabbits under a bright desert sun.

After the hike we stopped at a local coffee shop and hung out on their open patio for a few minutes nursing our drinks, then headed home. I have so much work to do for the week, what with our house closing scheduled on Tuesday, and we’re taking our pups to a new daycare/boarding facility that same day so we’re also doing a tour of the place that afternoon. Later this week I’ll be heading to New York City for a quick two-day business trip, and I haven’t even finished all the presentation slides for it. Tomorrow G-Dog visits the vet for some follow-up blood work to monitor his white blood cell counts post-chemo.

And of course, now that we’re closing in on the final stretch of the homebuying process, I have to kickstart the actual move of our belongings from our Hometown to our new place. Since it’s an interstate move it’s a bit more complicated — interstate moves are priced by the weight, unlike in-state and local moves which are usually priced by the piece and/or by the hour — so I have to figure out when I can fly back to Hometown to meet with moving consultants at our storage unit and get an estimate.

I’m not really looking forward to all this travel as I so just want to stay here with G-Dog and the rest of our pups, but my plan is to squeeze all of this house-buying-and-moving stuff into a very short time frame to get it done as soon as possible. Then we can take our time with unpacking, buying new furniture for the house, and most of all, spending as much time as possible with the pups and especially G-Dog.

Hope y’all’s weekends are as lovely!

Photo by Ylanite Koppens from Pexels

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s